Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below
What can yoga and Buddhism teach us about joy, both for ourselves and others?
“The Brahma Vihara help us create a capacity for these qualities which open our hearts and gives us insight into the very challenging truth that nothing is permanent.”
In this episode, Mimi Kuo-Deemer shares her thoughts on yoga and buddhism. She talks about some of the lessons we can take from buddhism to help keep us happy, healthy and on track mentally. Mimi explores the Buddhist concept of Mudita, which is sympathetic joy; the antithesis of competitiveness and individuality. How can that concept help us get through trickier times and awaken our hearts to interconnectedness and letting go?
In this episode you will find out about…
The Brahma Vihara – divine abodes or boundless states (4:30)
- What are Brahma Vihara and what do they cultivate?
- The opposing characteristics and how they affect us.
- The role of meditative practices.
- How these virtues can influence our mind, behaviour and relationships.
- What is Mudita and sympathetic joy?
- Why we should let go of comparison and envy.
- How can we focus on cultivating generosity?
- How does this link to Daoism?
- Book Recommendation: Loving Kindness by Sharon Salzberg
The Practice (30:00)
- How to start with the meditative practice of the Braham Vihara.
- The importance of a steady consistent practice.
- To whom should we extend these qualities and why.
- Medicine for social conflict and healing divisions.
- The common sources of suffering.
- A buddhist’s interpretation and explanation of the Brahma Vihara.
Awakening the heart (44:00)
- The difference between the brain and the heart.
- Dealing with paradox.
- Accepting impermanence and letting go.
- Recognising interconnectedness.
Taking it into real life (54:40)
- The role of movement in understanding the Brahma Vihara.
- Noticing impatience and suffering when moving on the mat.
- The benefit of slow movement.
- The challenges of instant gratification.
Do you want to explore all our classes, including more from Mimi? Check out all our classes for FREE for 14 days here: https://movementformodernlife.com/chooseplan
Discover Mimi’s classes on the Brahma Vihara here: https://movementformodernlife.com/yoga-class-1371-buddha-teachings-yoga-for-sympathetic-joy