Kat Farrants, founder and CEO of Movement For Modern Life, talks with experts in different fields and looks at them from the point of view of a yogic lifestyle. With her discoveries, we learn how to take our Yoga practice off the mat and live a happy, healthy, sustainable life.
Do you want to explore your yoga practice as a new mum or soon-to be- parent? Check out all our classes (including pre and post natal classes) for FREE for 14 days here: https://movementformodernlife.com/chooseplan
“Being a parent is the biggest yoga I’ve ever done!”
Being a parent, especially a new mum, is the hardest job in the world, but also one of the most rewarding. With motherhood comes so many expectations, so much advice and so much pressure, that it is often an overwhelming time, which is compounded by sleep deprivation, lack of free time and adjusting to a whole new way of life. So how can yoga help navigate pregnancy, birth and parenthood?
In episode 18, Kat chats to Nikita, one of our most popular teachers, about how her yoga practice has supported her after the arrival of her second baby and how it has changed on her journey through motherhood.
Parenting and yoga go hand in hand; being a parent provides an opportunity to utilise the tools, such as being mindful, aware, gentle and self-compassionate, you learn as a yogi. While, parenthood can lead us to approach our yoga practice in a new way. One thing is for sure, Nikita is not sure how she would have managed pregnancy, birth and parenthood without the magic of yoga.
One of the biggest lessons of parenthood is to know what it is to surrender to life and change, and the beauty of yoga is that it teaches us how to ride that wave of change.
In this episode you will find out…
What is it like being a new mum and a yogi? (2:03)
- Yoga is a way of life; parenting allows us to use tools we’ve learnt from our yoga practice
- Having children is very grounding; you tune in into your instincts
- Can we learn how to just ‘roll with it’?
You can only do your best (5:00)
- How to put the idea of perfect parenting aside
- It can be a very emotional and confronting time, but know that you can’t do it all. How can we let go of guilt and frustration?
- How yoga can help you cope with and accept the massive changes which pregnancy and children bring, from within your body to throughout your every day life?
The problem with the word ‘return’ (14:25)
- The pressure to ‘return to normal’ can be overwhelming and the unrealistic expectations around that have a huge impact on us mentally, emotionally and physically.
- Learn how yoga can help us renegotiate a new normal and accept that life, our bodies and our yoga practice will be different.
How yoga can fit into your new life (22:16)
- Nikita offers advice on how to get back to your mat by taking small steps and managing your expectations
- How yoga can help pregnant women new to the practice
- What Nikita is doing to ease herself back into her practice
- How to find the time and space in the craziness of parenthood to practice your yoga
“Hold yourself lightly and kindly”
Find all of Nikita’s classes, including her Yoga for Happiness series and Meditation Series, here: https://movementformodernlife.com/yoga-teacher/nikitaakilapa
Do you want to explore your yoga practice as a new or soon-to be- parent, check out all our classes (including pre and post natal classes) for FREE for 14 days here: https://movementformodernlife.com/chooseplan
Find out more about Nikita here.