Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below
How can yoga be a truly inclusive and accessible practice?
“However we come to the mat, there is a practice which is suited, appropriate and can support our wellbeing if we choose it.”
In this episode, we talk to the master of adaptive yoga, Frederique Sardais, about how yoga can be a truly inclusive practice for every body. We discover what adaptive yoga is and explore the meaning of inclusivity and discuss why this conversation is long overdue. Fredee has been teaching specialist yoga classes for the last eight years, for people living with disability, primarily mobility disabilities. However, we are all going to need adaptive yoga at some point in our lives, and it’s not always going to be about achieving physical poses.
In this episode you will find out about…
The ‘real’ yoga (3:00)
- The trouble with instagram and inclusivity
- Where can we find the real yoga?
- Are the big studios really inclusive?
- The diversity of yoga in community halls
How accessible is yoga, really? (8:30)
- What are the hurdles facing accessibility?
- How can the popularity of vinyasa and performance yoga restrict access?
- How socio-economic factors impact accessibility
- The importance of changing the image of yoga in the media
Making yoga more inclusive (13:50)
- Yoga fits the person, the person does not have to fit the yoga
- What can teachers do to be more inclusive?
- The importance of awareness and listening to students’ needs
- How can we use yoga to support the body in healing from illness and injury?
The importance of diversity (19:45)
- How different needs can make yoga classes so rich
- How can teachers learn from a range of requirements?
- Not all yoga styles are suited to adaptability
- How shifting perspectives can allow teachers to teach every body
Cultural beliefs and non-asana yoga (23:30)
- Physical discomfort does not equate to working hard to achieve a pose
- The importance of letting go of suffering, achievement and punishment
- What is the true purpose of our practice?
- The role of pranayama, meditation and Yoga Nidra
- Yoga is not just for when we feel fragile or vulnerable, it caters to all the variables of the human experience
Do you want to explore our gentle classes, plus pranayama and meditation? Check out all our classes for FREE for 14 days here: https://movementformodernlife.com/chooseplan
We have a range of gentle yoga classes, including those which can be done in a chair, or in bed here: https://movementformodernlife.com/challenge-yoga-gently
Plus, why not try the following…
Find out more about Fredee here.