Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below
How do the philosophies of yoga and Buddhism interrelate?
“We can’t avoid the hot and cold of life, but we can work with how we experience suffering and we can find a way out if we believe we deserve it.”
Buddhism is something which fuels Adam’s practice and teaching, so in this episode, so he shares his interpretation of the teachings and how they have impacted him. Specifically, he explores the Buddhist Paramitas; what they are and how we can live by these qualities. He and Kat also discuss how yoga and Buddhism are interrelated, what they have in common and why there seem to be so many similarities between the two philosophies.
In this episode you will find out about…
How are yoga and Buddhism connected? (4:50)
- What is yoga?
- What is Buddhism and how does is differ across the world?
- The cross-pollination of ideas which have influenced both practices
- How ancient and modern hatha yoga draw inspiration from Buddhism and other philosophies
- How Adam discovered yoga and Buddhism
- The nature of suffering and how yoga and buddhism can help overcome it
Qualities to cultivate (23:30)
- The inspiration behind Adam’s latest series of yoga classes
- What are the six Buddhist Paramitas?
- What is an awakened being and can we get there?
- How do the paramita’s link to the Yamas and Niyamas?
- The importance of enthusiasm and discipline, and finding the middle ground
The individual and the community (36:00)
- The importance of starting in a place of positivity, energy and worthiness
- How to connect to yourself and other people
- Should we focus on the individual or on others?
- Thich Naht Hanh and activism
- What is a Tonglen practice?
- What is meditation?
- The difference between concentration and insight
- Can we really call yoga a ‘moving meditation’?
- How internal and external focal points can help us in being mindful
“I want to find the middle ground, where I can really push myself to do things but do I really need to go that far? What is that about?”
Do you want to explore all our classes? Check out all our classes for FREE for 14 days here: https://movementformodernlife.com/chooseplan
Discover Adam’s yoga and Buddhism classes on Movement for Modern Life here: https://movementformodernlife.com/yoga-class-1363-slow-flow-for-wisdom
Find out more about Adam here.