Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below
Do you want to explore more of Adam’s strength building classes? Check out all our classes for FREE for 14 days here: https://movementformodernlife.com/chooseplan
Strength is you alive and awake in your body and working with what you have today to make sure you feel good.
It is something which is often overlooked in a yoga practice, but strength is so important for a safe, comfortable and progressive yoga practice. So, we talk to one of our most popular teachers, Adam Hocke, about how we can explore and increase our strength and the impact it can have on our bodies and lives.
Adam also talks about the importance of staying curious. It’s really important to question what we’re doing. We should be testing things out and trying things and see if they work for us, rather than just accepting. The fact we have so many different styles of yoga and meditation is reflective of that. So, be curious and learn how to be more in control, strong, mobile, flexible, accepting and, therefore, embodied.
In this episode you will find out about…
- Flexibility has to be met with, held with and supported by some strength.
- We have to recognise what we are doing and asking if it is a reasonable thing to ask the body to do.
- Not all bodies can make all the shapes, especially the extreme poses.
- The simple, common poses which actually require more flexibility than most people have.
- How to adapt poses to your flexibility.
- The importance of a sense of humour!
Range of Motion (12:45)
- The difference between a passive and active range of motion.
- The importance of developing an active range of motion in addition to passive range of motion.
- Why cultivating control can improve your yoga and create a deeper sense of embodiment.
- The issue of underworking areas and unhealthy compensation patterns.
- The importance of listening to science.
Making yoga sustainable (22:00)
- How can we make yoga a sustainable practice over a lifetime?
- The importance of going slower through transitions for building control.
- Why should we reduce leverage?
- The importance of resistance for strengthening muscles at their end range to support flexibility.
- How can we introduce resistance?
- Why are standing poses are so great?
- What is mobility and why is it so important?
- The impact of physical resilience on the nervous systems and our emotions.
- How to be an active participant in your practice, rather than going along for the ride.
- What is proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) and how does is impact our range of motion?
- Vidya’s class on PNF: https://movementformodernlife.com/yoga-class-640-mindful-hips-director-cut
Put it into practice (46:00)
- Tips for incorporating more active stretching into your practice.
- The importance of variety for adaptation.
- Using outlines and changing the interior life of a pose.
- Readdressing our expectations of a yoga practice.
Do your best to make sure everything feels in control without pushing beyond what feels right and reasonable for you.
Do you want to explore Adam’s classes? Check out all our classes for FREE for 14 days here: https://movementformodernlife.com/chooseplan
Find all of Adam’s classes here: https://movementformodernlife.com/yoga-teacher/adamhocke
Find out more about Adam here.