Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS
Kat Farrants, founder and CEO of Movement For Modern Life, talks with experts in different fields and looks at them from the point of view of a yogic lifestyle. With her discoveries, we learn how to take our Yoga practice off the mat and live a happy, healthy, sustainable life.
“We need to probe and figure out a broader definition and understanding of the sutras… we need to apply them to the way we live our lives now. “
In this episode, we are talking about Patanjali’s yoga sutras and how relevant they are to modern life. How can these ancient texts help us get through daily life and the crises we face? Kat chats with Rakhee Jasani, MFML teacher and philosophy expert, about her fascination and frustration with the old yogi texts, and answers questions on the importance of integrating philosophy into our lives to help us face everything from personal overwhelm to environmental and societal issues.
In this episode you will find out about…
What are the Yoga Sutras? (4:00)
- Where do the yogas sutras come from?
- The mystery surrounding the sutras
- What do they tell us about yoga?
- What are the eight limbs of yoga and the magical powers?
- The influence of other ancient philosophies and thinkers
- The link between yoga philosophy and buddhism
The Yamas and Niyamas (17:00)
- What are the Yamas and Niyamas?
- How do they relate to yoga and meditation?
- The role of ‘God’ in the observances and restraints
- The role of OM
Society, ourselves and the sutras (27:00)
- Can we use the sutras as a guide to be more socially engaged?
- What is the Gita?
- The importance of detachment and skill in action
- Finding your path in life and respecting that of others
The relevance of the yoga sutras today (38:00)
- The role of greed and violence in our world and it’s impact on our environment
- Why can’t we be content with what we have?
- How can we deal with the problems we face using philosophy?
- The importance of seeking truth and justice as modern yogis
- The sutras don’t have the answers, so why are they pertinent?
- How can we make ancient wisdom relevant to the modern day?
- The importance of thinking and interpreting the sutras for ourselves
“By living in this way, our minds are clearer and maybe we are better able to see the nature of reality.”
Do you want to explore the sutras further in our philosophy course – Ancient Wisdom for Modern Life? Check out all our classes for FREE for 14 days here: https://movementformodernlife.com/chooseplan
Find out more about Rakhee here.
Nice Blog and thanks for sharing such a useful information to us. I really love this blog.
Good article. I definitely appreciate this website. Keep it up!