Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below
Do you want to explore Sylvia’s classes on strength and pose challenges? Check out all our classes for FREE for 14 days here: https://movementformodernlife.com/chooseplan
Going deeper isn’t about doing the pose better, it’s about what the pose is teaching you.
Why are so many people acquiring yoga injuries? How can we find a class which suits us? What impact has instagram had on yoga?
In this episode, we talk to Sylvia Garcia, one half of London Acro Ladies and MFML teacher, about adapting our yoga practice to suit our bodies, rather than the other way round.
Sylvia dives deep into the importance of listening to your body, whether than be through injury, pregnancy or something else.
It is possible for yoga to not be healthy or good for our bodies; you can punish yourself with these tools or use them intelligently by adapting them to suit you in each moment. It may be challenging and hard to rest, but it’s brave to practice within our ability and listen to our body.
“Isn’t it more yogic to be resting when you know you’re going to hurt your body than it is to just do the poses you’ve been asked to do?”
In this episode you will find out about…
Yoga and social media (9:30)
- Why comparison can be dangerous.
- How can we be responsible when posting and consuming yoga content on Instagram?
- Should we be learning poses from Instagram tutorials?
- Is it ever ok to be posting complex poses?
- The positive side of social media!
Yoga and injuries (27:20)
- Is yoga on Instagram true yoga, or art?
- The importance of listening to our bodies.
- Why it’s ok to go back to basics.
- What injuries can teach about empathy.
- Why do we want to be more flexible or go to extreme ranges?
Sustainability and longevity (35:55)
- Should we still be practicing Ashtanga?
- Where do we draw the line?
- The importance of picking the right shapes for you.
- How to respect changes in your body and preferences both daily and long term.
- It takes courage to say ‘no’
Seeking advice, strength and pilates (47:25)
- What can we do when a pose doesn’t feel good anymore?
- When to seek help and not simply skip a pose.
- Who should we seek injury advice from?
- The role of pilates in building strength and sustaining your practice.
- How can we be more careful in adjustments?
- What will our bodies look like in a few years time after all this extreme yoga?
- The importance of asking “what do I need right now?”.
Do you want to explore Sylvia’s classes? Check out all our classes for FREE for 14 days here: https://movementformodernlife.com/chooseplan
Find all of Sylvia’s classes here: https://movementformodernlife.com/yoga-teacher/sylviagarcia
Find Sylvia on Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/sylviasyoga