Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS
Kat Farrants, founder and CEO of Movement For Modern Life, talks with experts in different fields and looks at them from the point of view of a yogic lifestyle. With her discoveries, we learn how to take our Yoga practice off the mat and live a happy, healthy, sustainable life.
Do you want to explore more of Vidya’s philosophy classes – ancient wisdom for modern life? Check out all our classes for FREE for 14 days here: https://movementformodernlife.com/chooseplan
“Meditation gives us the space where you feel the reaction within you but you’re able to take a breath and see it’s ego”
In this episode Kat talks to Vidya Heisel, the founder of Suryalila about how her life has been informed by Eastern philosophy. Vidya talks about her early influences and how when she discovered Eastern philosophy and meditation at the age of nineteen, she felt like a light had gone off in her head.
Vidya talks about how she has adopted non-violent communication as a practical way in which to apply ‘ahimsa’. This skilful means of communication serves her well as a business owner when communicating with staff members who are also friends. Vidya also walks the talk and reveals the dilemmas she has faced in creating a business steeped in permaculture whilst being a vegetarian.
In this episode you will find out about…
- Why Ahimsa is an essential part of yoga practice and most major world religions
- How causing harm to others is akin to causing harm to yourself
- Why Ahimsa is the foundation of the Yamas and Niyamas
- How you can be violent without realising it
NON VIOLENT COMMUNICATION (11:00)
- How to communicate during intense or challenging situations
- How to express yourself skillfully when you are feeling irritated
- Our speech patterns can express violence without us realising it
- Communicating effectively is a skill that can be learnt
START WITH YOURSELF (15:00)
- Non-violence starts with yourself
- How caring for your yourself deeply impacts on others
- Why we need to stop the critical voice in our heads
- Make an effort but let go of perfectionism
- Vedanta is wider than just yoga philosophy
- How life is like a dream-world or an illusion
- Why you should trust that what is unfolding is the way it is meant to be
- Meditation can be profound right away
- You will have to deal with the same things coming up repeatedly but meditation isn’t about being hard or easy
- Why approaching meditation as a practice is skillful: it’s not about the quality of the experience but rather the doing of it!
AHIMSA, VEGETARIANISM AND VEGANISM
- Ahimsa dairies and how eating eggs can sit comfortably alongside vegetarianism
- The clash between vegetarianism and permaculture
- The complications of sustaining a healthy eco-system
“Most of us need to have more compassion for ourselves than we actually have.”
Do you want to explore more of Vidya’s classes? Check out all our classes for FREE for 14 days here: https://movementformodernlife.com/chooseplan
Find all of Vidya’s classes here: https://movementformodernlife.com/yoga-teacher/vidyaheisel
Find out more about Vidya here.
Pingback: Psychological Safety 76: Non-Violent Communication – Psychological Safety