There’s nothing that makes it feel more like Christmas than eating mince pies! Get festive and indulge in some yummy Christmas treats with this vegan mince pie recipe from our friends at Vegan Life Magazine.
Vegan Mince Pie Recipe
Ingredients (Makes 36)
- 100g (⅔ cup) currants
- 100g (⅔ cup) raisins
- 100g (⅔ cup) sultanas
- 70g (½ cup) dried apricots
- 50g (⅔ cup) candied peel
- 50g (½ cup) glacé cherries
- 50g (½ cup) flaked almonds
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- 4 tbsp brandy
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Zest of 1 whole orange
- 750g (5 ½ cups) strong white flour (plain whole wheat)
- 350g (1 ½ cups) vegan margarine
- 6 tbsp cold water
- Pinch of salt
- Icing sugar or caster sugar to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6).
- Place all of your mincemeat ingredients into a food processor. Once your mixture has reached the desired texture, set aside.
- Prepare your pastry: sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and add the margarine. Rub together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Pour in the cold water and mix into a dough. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a floured surface, roll it out fairly thinly.
- Cut 12cm circles from the dough for the base and using a shaped cookie cutter, the same amount of stars for the top.
- Grease muffin tins and press the bases in the holes. Place a heaped teaspoon of mincemeat into the middle of the dough and cover with your star.
- Place the pies into the oven and bake for around 10 minutes or until the pies start to brown. Remove from the oven and leave in the tins to cool. Once cooled remove from the tins and sprinkle with your choice of sugar. Serve warm or cold.
This post was shared by Vegan Life Magazine, the UK’s first Vegan consumer magazine sharing Vegan recipes, health & nutrition features, news and more.